2 October 2023

It's Headed Straight Towards Us at Park Theatre

Obviously I am on the Park Theatre mailing list and It's Headed Straight Towards appealed immediately because it was written by Adrian Edmondson and Nigel Planer and had Rufus Hound in the cast. But there are lots of plays that I want to see and I was slow to book.

Then Adrian Edmondson and Nigel Planer were on the BBC Radio4 Today programme talking about it and that was the final nudge that I need to go ahead and book.

Tickets had been selling well and I was very limited in my choice of dates and seats and I was pleased to grab a couple of returns and got 2 standard tickets  in the front row of the Stalls, seats A24 and A25, for a perfectly modest £32.5 each.

I then Tweeted to BBC to say that I was surprised that in the interview they had not mentioned that Edmondson and Planer had worked together fairly recently in Vulcan 7 which I had seen in Richmond Theatre in 2018.

I had planned to eat in the cafe across the road with the enticing photos of Jeremy Corby on the front but I was too late getting there for that option so was pleased Park Theatre was doing pizzas. One of those and a beer eased me into the evening's performance very nicely.

It's Headed Straight Towards Us takes place in a smart film production trailer in Iceland, home to one of the lesser stars in a franchise. 

A visitor to the trailer was an other actor who had been at drama school with the first and whose career had taken a different path. They were appearing in this film as "angry thermanoid". The other visitor was a young female production runner.

It took a while to realise that this was Vulcan 7 in another guise. I am not sure that I would have booked to see it again if I had know but I am glad that I did.

The play was still funny while also being intelligent and with an interesting story.

After the show I was lucky to be able to ask Adrian Edmondson how this differed from Vulcan 7 and he convincing explained that it was a significant rewrite and that the new title was more appropriate.

It's Headed Straight Towards Us was a thoroughly entertaining evening at one of my favourite venues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even those that I disagree with!