20 March 2023

20km Embankment to Gunnesbury

Like all of my best walks this one was a combination of routes brought together serendipitously.

The start was a group walk arranged by South West London Humanists and covered some of the parks in Central London and the ending was a less organised solo walk heading to a friendly Tube station via some Pokemon Go target gyms in Hammersmith and Chiswick.

I do the South West London Humanists walks most months mostly because it is an excuse for a walk but also because the banter is fun. The routes tend to be familiar ones but that is no great problem, they are familiar because they are routes worth taking regularly. 

We met at the Riverside Terrace Cafe in Southbank Centre and then headed out to Victoria Tower Gardens, St James's Park, Green Park and Hyde Park where we stopped for another coffee.

From there it was a short and simple walk to the famous The Churchill Arms in Kensington where I had a quite impressive beed and lunch. They do Thai food and I went for a vegetable Jungle Curry (their hottest) which was a very modest £12.

Meal consumed I said farewell to my fellow humanists and started the solo part of the walk.



The first section, down to the river at Hammersmith, was mostly driven by adding new roads to my Citytstrides map and, as a result, I discovered Brook Green and plenty of nice houses.

From there I was on auto-pilot along the river and through Chiswick before finishing at Gunnesbury station. I stopped for yet another coffee (and cake!) at Jajo as the afternoon was drawing on.

Overall the walk was just over 20km and took me about seven hours, including the extensive stops for coffee and lunch. A day well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even those that I disagree with!