3 January 2023

Destination Horniman Museum

The simpler a plan is the more likely it is to work and this was a pretty simple plan; walk to Horniman Museum trying to use new routes where possible.

That said, I took a familiar route through Richmond Park to Robin Hood Gate before finding a new and muddy path across Wimbledon Common.

I do not walk in that part of London very often but to ensure that I used as many new roads as possible I walked south of the direct route and went through places that were completely new to me like Colliers Wood and Streatham Vale. These were interesting places because they were new but other than their newness there was little of interest in them. The highlights for me were a few former country mansions.

As always, the hilliness of South London was a surprise and I was breathing hard after climbing Rock Hill.



I got to Horniman Museum about 3pm, ideal for a late lunch! The cafe was ridiculously busy and I was lucky that a family left just as my coffee was prepared and I got a table. It was leaped on just as quickly when I left.

My original plan had ended at Horniman Museum and having got there I had to make one to get back. I looked at the map and the clock and decided I had time to walk the 7km or so to Vauxhall. It was only as I approached that I remembered that there was a train strike and so I needed another plan and that plan was to walk on to Victoria and the District Line.

That plan did not work that well either as there were no tubes to Richmond so I went to Turnham Green, did a little bit more walking, and caught two buses home. I arrived back something after 7pm having left before 11am.

The main section of the walk was 35km and I did almost 50k steps over the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even those that I disagree with!