7 January 2023

A gentle 32 km loop

If a plan is vague then it is easy to stick to and today's walk had a pretty vague plan, and that was to hit the canal at Brentford and to take it from there - which I did.

I like walking along that section of the canal because the Brentford end is still changing, it quickly becomes rural and is interspersed with industry. And what's not to like about a place called Dead Man's Bridge?

An expected highlight was the series of locks in Hanwell and they lived up to their expectation, as always, though it was noticeably harder to walk up them rather than down them which is my more common route.

Not long after that I hit Three Bridges (road, rail and canal) and decided to hit the road and to turn west towards Hounslow where I deliberately took a road I had not walked before across the top of Osterley Park.

Following the park round to the south took me into Lampton where I had been before; PokemonGo leaves a simple trail of places I have been which makes it easy to head in new directions.

After Lampton I hit Hounslow town centre and out of a mix of curiosity and wish for a cafe I walked east through the long town centre. It was interesting to see the different mix of shops but the only cafes were of the Costa sort and were busy so I walked on.

Thinking of a route home I decided to head for Whitton and as I got nearer to familiar territory the harder it came to find a new route and so I gave up on trying to find one. I did find a good cafe in Whitton though and was able to get a flat white and a generous slice of carrot cake which, at about 4pm, probably constituted lunch.

From there I took a pretty direct walk home simply because there was nowhere else that I wanted to go.

The vague plan finished at 32km in just over 7 hours and I was very happy with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even those that I disagree with!