18 April 2023

Wish You Were Dead at Richmond Theatre

Crime dramas are not really my thing though I am happy to make an exception when it is on at Richmond Theatre and it is based on a book my best selling author Peter James who really likes to put the word "dead" into his titles.

The usual procedure was followed and I secured my usual seat Dress Circle A25 for a very fair £27.75.

The pre-theatre routine was usual too, and very dull. Being a local theatre I was able to eat at home and catch a 65 bus all but door-to-door. I had a bottle of Budvar on arrival, just in case I developed a cough, you understand.

I liked the set from the start. It looked like a run down stately home (though it turned out to do French, not that that mattered) and you could see both a reception room and a bedroom at the same time. 

The set stayed the same for the duration but some special lighting later on revealed some secrets.

I think I was expecting a whodunnit but this was not that. There was a twist when we found out who the baddies were but that was in the middle of the play and the rest of the story was about the goodies trying to overcome the baddies and not about trying to solve any mysteries.

I was quite happy with that and it probably made even more sense to people who had read some Peter James books and had come across the main character, DS Roy Grace, before.

Wish You Were Dead did nothing spectacular, and that was very the expectation. What it did do was deliver a perfectly entertaining evening in some style.

After the show, I stopped at the Angel and Crown on the way to the bus station for  couple of pints, just in case my cough came back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even those that I disagree with!