1 January 2021

I averaged 27,919 steps a day in 2020

When I last posted my annual walking data I said that I averaged 18,047 steps a day in 2017.

Clearly I am walking a lot more now than I did then and a lot of that is due to my retirement in early 2019 which changed both when and where I walk.

The end of commuting and, for most of the year, pubs to go to has taken the regularity from my schedule and now I do an irregular mix of local and more distant walks, sometimes with a friend (when that is allowed).

To get to 30k steps I have to do at least one reasonably long walk, i.e. over two hours, a day and that will either be a local walk to somewhere like Mortlake or Hampton or a more distant walk to somewhere like Hayes. Thanks to lockdown I am used to doing these after 9pm when it's very quiet on the streets.

Earlier in the year I did more walking away from home to places like West Hampstead and Woolwich but covid caution then kept me off tubes and I now do all my walking close to home in Ham, Richmond. While I have lots of options here, thanks to several rivers and large parks, I am very much looking forward to being able to explore further afield again.

The impact of Covid can be seen in the monthly totals with the lockdown months, March and April, being much lower than the rest of the year. Then I was following the rules and only leaving the house twice a day, once for shopping and once for exercising. Now I can leave the house for as much exercise as I want and I am taking advantage of that. In the last two months of the year I averaged 31k steps a day.

I have no plans or predictions for 2021 other than to keep walking somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even those that I disagree with!