6 May 2008

Miss Finch disappoints

I had forgotten that I had ordered "The Facts in the Case of the Departure of Miss Finch" so I was pleasantly surprised to find it in this week's comics order.

An illustrated short-story by Neil Gaiman is normally a complete joy, and I cannot recommend Murder Mysteries and The Dream Hunters highly enough, but Miss Finch disappoints in comparison.

The story is thin and lacks the typical Gaiman grandeur of vision and clever, but not too clever, plot. The characterisation is also a little weak, probably due to the main characters being based on real people, i.e. Jonathan Ross and Neil Gaiman himself.

What does remain is the expected fantasy elements and here Michael Zulli's art does a sterling job in rescuing an otherwise poor book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even those that I disagree with!