25 December 2006

Hawkwind at the Astoria (December 2006)


I first saw Hawkwind play in Southampton in 1976 and have been to several gigs since then, including two with Julia in Bristol and the (then) Hammersmith Apollo.

For the last couple of years I have gone to their Christmas shows at the London Astoria. They remain a class act after all these years, though Bob Calvert is greatly missed on some of the songs.

The current line-up is as a four piece but they had Huw Lloyd Langton join them on a couple of songs. (Huw also played a few acoustic numbers as a support act.) The sound is still solid rock with their trademark spacey sounds over the top. The space fantasy theme is reinforced by the "dancers", as pictured above.

The set list covered most of their history including the latest album Take Me to Your Future. For me the standout songs were Psychedelic Warlords, Spirit of the Age and Orgone Accumulator.

I'm sure that I'll be at the Christmas do again next year and I'd like to catch some other tour dates too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even those that I disagree with!