9 February 2008

Page 123 of The Best of Philip Jose Farmer

SWENGLISHEXPAT has tagged me for this little meme, ‘Open Book’. These were the instructions:

1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open it at page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence/ phrase.
4. Blog the next four sentences/ phrases together with these instructions.
5. Don't you dare dig your shelves for that very special or intellectual book.
6. Pass it forward to six friends

Finding the book was not trivial as there are several piles of books in my study but most of them are graphic novels and/or have fewer than 123 pages. The "real book" that is nearest the top of the pile is The Best of Philip Jose Farmer, which pleases me as he is my favourite author (just ahead of Leslie Charteris).

I was a bit worried about selecting the text as some of Farmer's writing can be a bit "colourful" both in content and language but lady luck was on my side and this is the selected text, taken form the story The God Business.

"Major Lewis cleared her throat. 'Mr Temper, streamline the details will you please? These gentlemen are very busy and they would like the bald facts. The bald facts mind you.'"

Finding friends who read books and write blogs to pass the meme on to is not that easy either but I hope that the following people fit the bill; Tony Emmerson, David Southwell, and Stephen Dale.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting, did a quick Google search since I had not heard of Farmer before. I'll check him out more later. This seems to be a good way of broadening one's literary horizon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very nice Ham.. Good looking book & like Swen, I hadn't heard of Farmer before either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got into Philip Jose Farmer over thirty years ago when I was reading all the Science Fiction that I could find. "To your scattered bodies go" is the quintessential book and hs the advantage of featuring everybody who has ever lived!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even those that I disagree with!