8 February 2008

Bars and beers


My social life tends to go in waves as I sometimes work away from home, e.g. recent trips to Kiev and Sao Paulo, and my friends also spend time in exotic locations like Liverpool, Luanda and Wigan. The last week has been very sociable and I have been out every evening since returning from Brazil last Thursday! I have been seeing different friends for different reasons which has meant going to different pubs and drinking different beers. This is what I can remember of the last week.
  • Last Friday (1st Feb) I went to The Cardinal (pictured) for lunch and was back there in the evening with Peter just for a few pints of Hobgoblin.
  • Saturday I went down the Willoughby with John and had a few pints of Scrum Down.
  • Sunday was The Bear in Twickenham for a couple of pints of Deuchars (pronounced dewk-ers) before going for a curry with Colin.
  • Monday was a minor pub crawl with Colin in Richmond that included the Victoria (Youngs Ordinary), Revolution Bar (Staropramen) and the White Cross (Winter Warmer).
  • Tuesday was Irish music night at the Canbury Arms with pints of Landlord, Sussex Ale and Doombar, and John and Pete (another one) for company.
  • Wednesday was the England v Switzerland game so it was back to the Willoughby with Pete for a couple of pints of Sweet Chariot before heading to the Cardinal for a night-cap of Hobgoblin and London Pride.
  • Thursday was another minor crawl in Richmond with Colin and John (a different one) that took in Molly Malones (Guiness), Triple Crown (St Davids) and the Sun (Swing Low).
  • Friday lunchtime was a pint at the Dysart Arms (Broadside) and then on to The Cardinal for lunch and a pint of Youngs Ordinary, which is where this story started a week ago.
It strikes me that that is a wide range of beers for pubs in the same area which shows just how well guest beers are doing these days. Several of the beers have a rugby theme so I guess that they are timed for the Six Nations championship and will not be around that long.

This evening I'm off to The Albert ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even those that I disagree with!