13 April 2007

The Goodies, still alive and still funny

I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I decided to go and see The Goodies on stage in Croydon but it turned out to be a real treat.

The show was sort of a story of how The Goodies came together and failed to learn to ride the trandem but it went off in various tangents including, I'm pleased to say, a brief sketch from I'm sorry I haven't a clue, which, like most people there, I am old enough to remember. In amongst all this were a few clips from The Goodies, a song (Wild Thing) and some well rehearsed one-liners.

The show itself was presented by Tim Brooke-Taylor and Graeme Garden with Bill Oddie appearing on film and as a puppet. This was rather well done and at one point Graeme Garden walked off stage and reappeared on the film to smack Bill Oddie before returning back to the stage. It may sound a little cheesey but it was continuously funny, and I mean laugh-out-loud funny.

Before the event I went to what is becoming my regular pre-event pub, the boring but serves-its-purpose The George in, er, George Street. It's a Whetherspoons so it does reasonable beer (Pedigree) and reasonable food (mushroom curry) at a reasonable price (£5.99). While waiting to be served at the bar I bumped into a former colleague from some years ago, who was also going to The Goodies, and plans are now afoot for further reunions in more interesting public houses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even those that I disagree with!