12 August 2009

Challenging a KM convention

One of the approaches used in Knowledge Management (but not by me) is to position Knowledge in a hierarchy that goes:

  • Data => Information => Knowledge => Wisdom

Proponents of this model use a simple story to try and explain the difference between Knowledge and Wisdom. This goes, "Knowledge is knowing that tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad".

This perceived wisdom is challenged in China where I found tomatoes in almost every fruit salad that I had!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, talk about spoiling a good fruit salad! If they weren't cut up I guess you could pick them out but if they were ouch...throw out the bowl.

    -Stephen

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even those that I disagree with!