2 October 2010

Dead shoes

I've work proper brogues to work for years, it's part of my "serious consultant" brand. Usually these are the Full Monty with leather soles and are purchased from Jones Bootmaker for something around, or in excess of, £100.

I find the close hard fit of a brogue very comfortable and you get a buzz of confidence knowing that you are wearing good shoes. They tend to wear well too, which is just as well as I like to include some walking in my daily commute.

The only down-side is the leather soles which can turn in to blotting paper when the ground is very wet and the impact of my walking is much the same as leaving the shoes in a full bath for twenty minutes.

And do, reluctantly, I have been known to but some cheaper imitation brogues, the sort of shoe that is designed more for soft comfort than appearance. I get these from Clarks because I remember the days when shoes meant Clarks (in the same way that Beanz Meanz Heinz) and also there are family connections with several of the Bridgwater clan having worked for Clarks in Street at some point. Some may still do so.

So it was a mixture of surprise, astonishment and disappointment when my new pair of Clarks shoes collapsed on me after just a few months.

The astonishment comes from the way that they died. The soles show just minimal signs of wear but both heels collapsed spectacularly, something I only expected to happen with ladies' shoes.

This left me with the embarrassment of walking around the office with the heels flapping around like a stupid dog's tongue.

I've learnt my lesson and am back on the proper brogues. I have three pairs so that wet ones have time to dry and the seriously ill ones have time to be mended. As is often the case, going for the cheaper option proved to be a false economy.

Note: All of the comments below are spam. I have posted them out of amusement.

8 comments:

  1. Remarkable things here. I am very satisfied to look your article.
    Thank you so much and I am taking a look ahead to touch you.
    Will you please drop me a mail?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really make it appear so easy with your presentation however I
    in finding this matter to be actually one thing that I
    believe I would by no means understand. It seems
    too complex and very huge for me. I'm taking a look forward to your subsequent publish,
    I will attempt to get the hold of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please let me know if you're looking for a writer for your blog.

    You have some really great articles and I think I would be a good asset.
    If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd love to write some content for your
    blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please blast me
    an e-mail if interested. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's an awesome piece of writing designed for all the internet viewers;
    they will obtain benefit from it I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This paragraph is really a pleasant one it helps new web visitors,
    who are wishing for blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nearly impossible to find educated people
    about this subject, however, you sound like you know what you're talking about!

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. If some one needs expert view concerning blogging and site-building then i suggest him/her to
    go to see this webpage, Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I visited several sites except the audio feature for audio songs present at this web site is truly wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even those that I disagree with!