29 July 2024

Tristan und Isolde at Glyndebourne Festival 2024

My second visit to Glyndebourne Festival 2024 was to see Tristan und Isolde.

For some reason Wagner is not that popular among my friends so only Julia and I went. Going on our own and knowing that there is little physical action we were prepared to risk the cheap seats and sent for Blue Upper Circle Sides 12/13 for £95.

The opera is long which meant an early start time, 3pm, and a change in my routine. There was no trip to The Depot in Lewes beforehand for lunch, instead it was a ice cream in Southover Grange Gardens and then a snack lunch (courtesy of M&S) at Glyndebourne. 

We travelled light and bought our drinks there, a mandatory Pimm's to have while walking through the gardens before the opera and a glass of fizz to have with dinner in the long interval.

I am not sure that the risk on the cheap tickets paid off as I could only see about a third of the stage and, for some reason, the production mostly placed the singers back from the front of the stage where I could not see them. 

Luckily I went for the music and the singing, and both were excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even those that I disagree with!