13 January 2016

BCSA "Get to Know You" Social (January 2016)

It has been a quarter of a year since I last posted a picture of Smazeny Syr (cheese fried in breadcrumbs) on this blog so I am delighted to be able to rectify that.

There should be a photograph of this delicacy every month, taken at the BCSA "Get to Know You" Social on the second Wednesday, but I missed the socials in November (holiday in India) and in December (clashed with an XMas do) so the last time that I went was in October and that was three months ago, a quarter of a year.

It was good to be back in the groove of the monthly socials starting with a pleasant walk from Kings Cross to Baker Street where I caught the Jubilee Line up to West Hampstead. I was the first one to arrive at the Czech and Slovak Bar and Restaurant, mainly because I got there at 6:30 and the social was not due to start until 7:00. Richard joined me soon afterwards and we began with our first round of Pilsner Urqell's and set about arranging the tables in the room to facilitate conversations.



Those conversations built up as others started to arrive nearer to the published start time than I did. The social evenings are a sort of "open house" with people encouraged to come and go at times to suit them, it is only addicts like me that are there at the beginning and still there when the bar closes at 10:30.

This month I had several conversations about Glyndebourne because I had just got my order confirmed and was taking some of the people there with me. I also had a long conversation that started, "Where do you live?", "South-West London.", where we discovered that we lived just a few hundred metres apart in Ham so we talked about Ham for a while, including reminiscing about lost (but not necessarily missed) pubs in the area.

There were more conversations, more beers and the mandatory Smazeny Syr to fill another fun and fulfilling evening. And it's only four weeks until the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even those that I disagree with!