8 April 2015

BCSA "Get to Know You" Social (April 2015)

There was no BCSA (British Czech and Slovak Association) "Get to Know You" Social in March because there was another BCSA event on the second Wednesday and it was easier to skip the social for a month than to move it off it's regular day. That meant that I was even more keen than usual to go there in April.

I decided earlier in the day that as I am cutting down on my excessive consumption of cheese that I would break the habit of a life-time and not have the smazeny syr. That plan worked well.


Luckily the rest of the evening followed its usual pattern too; I had a few Pilsner Urquells before closing the evening with a Zlaty Bazant, there were some regular faces and some new ones there, and we talked about all sorts of things.

The conversations that stuck with me the most, for reasons that only the neurons in my brain can account for, were on skiing (not my favourite past-time), using your iPhone to count your steps (I'm an evangelist) and making aromatic candles in tea cups (I volunteered to provide some unwanted cups).

The point about these evenings are they are informal and anybody can come and go at any time during the evening. We normally have the hardcore, myself included, there by 7pm and the numbers gradually grow through the evening (sometimes people leave too) and there are a dozen or so of us there at 10:30 when the social ends (because that is when the bar closes). The change in people is one of the things that helps to stir the conversations.

The Zlaty Bazant may have been a pint too much as I left my bag in the room with some expensive stuff in it. Luckily I just missed the Richmond train, only by a few seconds, and in the fifteen minute wait for the next one some friends rescued it for me.

The near mishap at the end forgiven, this was another delightful BCSA "Get to Know You" Social and because of that we will keep having them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even those that I disagree with!